Early Detection Saves Lives!
April is Oral Cancer Awareness Month. Early Detection Saves Lives! Cancer of the mouth and upper throat kills 1 person every hour of every day. 40% of the people diagnosed with these cancers will not survive longer than five years. Many who do survive suffer long term problems, such as severe facial disfigurement or difficulty with eating and speaking. When cancer of the mouth and upper throat are detected and treated early, mortality and health problems are greatly reduced. Here are the signs and symptoms that you should be aware of:
- A sore or irritation that doesn't go away.
- Difficulty chewing, swallowing, and/or speaking
- Changes in the way your teeth come together.
- Lumps or eroded spots in the mouth
- White or red tissues with or without pain or numbness in the mouth or lips
Please see a dental professional if these signs and symptoms if these signs and symptoms do not improve or disappear in two weeks. Here are Dr. Katie To's office, routine complimentary oral cancer examinations and screening is a part of all dental checkups. Give us a call and get screened today.